Monday, October 6, 2014

How I Saved Excess Baggage Charges

We're flying business class on our Skyteam around the world tickets, but have several flights on our own that are in coach.  These "foreign" airlines have more restrictive requirements for carry on baggage, and excess weight can result in your having to check the bag and pay an additional bag fee.
 New Zealand Air, which we flew from Christchurch to Sydney, limits carry on weight to 15 pounds.  To comply with this, I really layered up in Christchurch, where the temperature was in the high 50's - heaviest shoes and jeans, t shirt, sweater, fleece jacket and waterproof jacket.  I rolly-pollyed through check in and security, then removed the jackets and packed them in the carry-on bag. Upon arrival at the Sydney airport, with the temperature in the 80's, I removed and packed the sweater.  I'll probably have to do this again when we fly from Sydney to Brisbane and for internal flights in China, but I think I've figured out a way to beat the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment